5 Times You Should Stand Your Ground:
1. He wants all of your passwords- If your beau demands the passwords to your Facebook, Email, and Twitter accounts, this is not the time to compromise. Even if you’re not up to anything untrustworthy, you deserve the right to have some personal privacy. Calmly explain to him that there is nothing you are hiding and that he should trust you enough to have a social life without his interference, even if it is only existent online.
2. Spending time with your friends- Remember the golden rule in high school, “hoes over bros?” While the saying is a tad inappropriate — not to mention, juvenile — it is surprisingly insightful. Make sure you don’t disregard your friendships when you are in a relationship or they might not be there when you are no longer with him.
3. Financial matters- When you and your man get to the point of combining checking accounts and merging assets, this is not the time to compromise your needs. Paying bills, splitting the rent, and day-to-day expenses should be divided equally and fairly — and you should have an equal understanding of where your money is going. If your man is taking 100 percent control of the financial aspect of your relationship, then it’s definitely time to speak up.
4. Things are moving too fast- We’ve all been in a situation where a new relationship suddenly starts taking off at lightning speed. He wants to move in, he talks to your girlfriends about engagement rings, and he’s already brainstorming the names of your unborn children. If this pace is making you feel like you’ve aged ten years in the span of two months, we suggest having a little chat with your significant other. It’s completely appropriate to stand your ground and tell him to slow things down.
5. You have different desires for the future- While you fantasize about marriage and children, he seems set on being a bachelor for eternity. If you clearly desire different paths in life, this should be addressed in time. If he’s constantly hinting that his future doesn’t involve you, speak up about your own needs and desires so that you both get on the same page. It’s not fair for you to be going through the motions of a relationship that is on the fast track to nowhere.