Total: 7 hrs 10 mins
Prep: 10 mins
Cook: 7 hrs
Yield: 4 to 6 servings
This tasty cream cheese chicken recipe takes just minutes to throw together and then it cooks hands-free in the slow cooker. Warm and comforting, it’s also kid-friendly, thanks to the creamy cheesiness that the cream cheese and condensed soup imparts. All you have to do is toss the ingredients in the slow cooker, set it, and forget it until it’s time to eat!
The recipe is a popular one, and it’s versatile. Add extra celery if you like or add some baby carrots or sliced carrots to the pot. For more color and flavor, add some frozen vegetables—peas, mixed vegetables, green beans, or broccoli florets—about 20 minutes before serving time. Feel free to replace the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom or cream of celery soup. If you use the cream of mushroom soup, add some sliced canned or fresh mushrooms to the pot along with the celery and onions if you’d like.
Hot cooked rice makes an excellent base for the chicken and sauce. Or serve the chicken with mashed potatoes. Add a salad or steamed veggies for a well-balanced dinner. This meal will satisfy everyone, from picky toddlers to adults!
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast halves (about 4 to 6)
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (or to taste)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 cup onions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup celery (chopped)
- 1 (10 1/2-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 8 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes; may use reduced-fat version)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (preferably unsalted or low sodium)
Steps to Make It
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with paper towels and arrange them in the crockpot.
- Brush the chicken with the melted butter and sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme, and garlic.
- Add the onions and chopped celery to the pot.
- In a bowl, combine the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and cream cheese. Pour over the chicken and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 5 to 7 hours.