Total: 4 hrs 15 mins
Prep: 15 mins
Cook: 4 hrs
Yield: 4 Servings
Serve this great tasting chicken and broccoli with hot cooked linguine, fettuccine, or spaghetti, or serve it over hot cooked rice or egg noodles. The easy chicken dish is flavored with a sauce. The sauce is made with cream of chicken soup, cream cheese, and dry Italian salad dressing.
The broccoli is added later in the dish so it won’t overcook, but feel free to steam the broccoli separately if you like more of a crisp-tender texture. Use chicken breast halves or about 1 1/2 pounds of chicken tenders.
If your family doesn’t like broccoli, add peas, peas, carrots, or green beans to the dish. Cook the vegetables separately or add them 30 to 60 minutes before the dish is done.
- 4 boneless chicken breast halves, about 1 1/2 pounds
- 2 envelopes Good Seasons Italian Dressing*
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 (8 ounces) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz.) condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can or jar (about 4 ounces) mushrooms, drained
- 8 to 12 ounces frozen broccoli cuts
- 1 pound linguini, cooked and drained
Steps to Make It
- Cut the chicken breasts into chunks and place them in the crockpot.
- In a bowl, mix the salad dressing mix with the water and pour over the chicken. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese with the soup until well blended. Stir in the mushrooms and pour the mixture over the chicken. Add broccoli cuts and cook for about 1 more hour.
- Serve the chicken sauce over the hot cooked linguine, rice, or a similar pasta.
*Homemade Italian Dressing Seasoning Mix:
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/4 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 2 teaspoons dried leaf oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt, a pinch of dried leaf basil and a pinch of celery salt. Makes the equivalent of about 2 small packets of dry Italian dressing mix.
Tips and Variations
- Use freshly steamed broccoli florets. Add the steamed florets to the cooked sauce or serve it in a separate bowl.
- Serve the chicken with broccoli over cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash to cut down on carbs.
- Add a small jar of pimientos (drained) for extra color and flavor.