You know that phrase, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you?” It’s a great rule of thumb but there’s one place where it doesn’t apply, at least for women: Men.
Us women want men to say and do nice things for us all the time. It turns us on. So naturally, we think it’s what turns men on too. Turns out that’s actually not what dudes want, at least at first.
In the beginning, when you’re just getting to know each other, guys need to feel a bit — just a bit — of distance between you and them. Why? Because what fires them up is the challenge you present. They’ll then fight to close that gap.
By creating the opportunity for the guy to chase you, you’re not being mean, or stingy, or doing anything terrible — ask any psychologist and they’ll tell you that men generally respond best to women who behave this way because they need to feel like they hunted you and won you. They’re just wired that way — it’s how they’re built. We forget that because we’re built differently. So, don’t serve yourself to a guy on a silver platter… It’s a turn off.
To be clear, this doesn’t mean you should be a bitch or play hard to get or change who you are as a person. All we’re saying is that you shouldn’t fall too hard, too fast. Take your time to get to know him before you start being all about him and his needs. It’s fine to be intrigued — like you’re on the verge of being interested — but don’t let yourself get totally sold too fast. In other words, don’t be ready to have his babies after date 3. Make him earn your interest, you know?
So, until you’re sure he’s definitely into you, don’t be so nice. Be cool. What does that look like? Here are some examples:
1. DON’T BE THE ONE TO INITIATE CONTACT. But if he reaches out, you should reply.
2. DON’T BAKE HIM COOKIES OR MAKE HIM DINNER. Save that til you’re sure things are going well.
3. DON’T BE AVAILABLE EVERY TIME HE WANTS TO HANG OUT.Keep busy.
4. DON’T ACCOMMODATE HIS EVERY WHIM.If he suggests a restaurant you don’t like, say so.
5. DON’T GIVE HIM A BACK RUB. Not until you’re much farther along.
6. DON’T TELL HIM YOU’RE INTO HIM.He should be the first to be explicit about how much he digs you.
7. DON’T PLAN EVERYTHING AROUND HIM.Life should go on even when you’re not with him.
8. DON’T USE GUSHY EMOTICONS IN YOUR NOTES. Smiley faces are fine. No hearts.
9. DON’T SLEEP WITH HIM OR SLEEP OVER.Definitely a no-no until you know he’s smitten.
10. DON’T BUY HIM CLOTHES OR OTHER PRESENTS.Not until you’re in a committed relationship.
11. DON’T LET HIM KNOW THAT YOU TALK ABOUT HIM ENDLESSLY. There’s no point to sharing this.
What do you think about this advice? Share your thoughts in the comments!